How to Paint Dirt Bike Plastics?
If you would like to change your dirt bike’s appearance, you can paint it. Through painting the dirt bike plastics, you can make it look new again. If you have never painted plastic before, you should know that you need to prepare the surface beforehand so that the paint can bond with it properly. Remember that preparing the plastic is essential because if you would not do this, the paint will start to peel.
The first thing that you should do is to prepare the materials that you will need in order to paint your dirt bike. When it comes to the paint you are going to use, make sure that it is specifically made to be painted on plastic surfaces. Some of the things that you will need are the following:
- Detergent that will help get rid of grease
- Scouring Pad
- Plastic Cleaner
- Primer for the Plastic
- Paint Gun (It is best to work with one with a compressor)
- 400 Grit Sandpaper
- Tack Cloth
- Flexible Paint for Plastic
- Rubbing Compound
- Sanding Discs
If you already have all of the items prepared then you can start by preparing the plastic so that it can be ready for painting.
1. The first thing that you will do is always to clean the plastic with a clean cloth. Make sure that you have covered all of the surfaces. Once you are sure that everything is clean, you can sand the surface that you are going to paint with the use of the 400 grit sandpaper. You will know what to sand when you see a thin surface that seems similar to a crust.
2. You would need to scrub the surface after sanding to further remove unwanted materials from the plastic that you are going to paint. Remember that if you skip this step, you will leave some contaminants that will make it easier for your paint to peel off.
3. Use the 180 grit sandpaper in order to make sure that you have not missed any spot.
4. Make use of the plastic cleaner and use of your clean rags in order to wipe the surface further.
5. Pour the primer for the plastic in one container and mix it properly before placing it on the paint gun. Remember that you should not put the paint yet because you need to use the primer on the surface of the dirt bike’s plastic first.
6. Hook your paint gun to the compressor so you can start spraying on the plastic portions of the dirt bike. You would need to wait for the primer to cure for half an hour before you can apply another coat of primer. Wait for the primer to cure again for a whole day.
7. Now that you have cured the primer, use your 400 grit sand paper again in order to make the plastic smooth and ready for painting.
8. Once you are sure that you have sanded out all of the surfaces that you are going to paint, use another clean rug in order to remove the remnants left on the surface.
9. Using a spray gun, you can coat the paint on the plastic. Make sure that you are going to do this evenly so that you will not have any issues with how it looks. You need to allow this painted portion to dry completely before you place it back on your dirt bike. It generally takes around 24 hours or sometimes more depending on the climate.
10. You can double check the plastic if there are some spots that you have missed or if you would need to do an extra coating just in case the first coat has not been applied properly.
11. Apply a clear coat afterward to make the paint on the plastic last longer. Do not forget to apply the top coat if you want the dirt bike plastic to look matte or glossy. It will be your choice.
Some Tips to Remember
- 1. Be patient when you are painting dirt bike plastics because it will be worthwhile in the end especially once you see how great the dirt bike plastic has been painted. If you are required to wait for a few hours before you can continue painting, then do this. If you would try to paint the plastic immediately, you will be stuck with a peeling dirt bike plastic.
- 2. Remember to follow the process mentioned above carefully. Have all the right gear that will make the process easier for you.
- 3. It is best to spray paint in an area that is well ventilated because you might get exposed to paint fumes that may cause asphyxiation when breathed in large amounts.
Are you ready to start painting? This can be a project that you will do over the weekend or whenever you have time to pimp your dirt bike and make it look better.
Incoming search terms:
- how to paint plastics on a dirtbike