How Often to Change Motorcycle Oil?
Like a lot of other motorcycle riders, you would like your motorcycle to last forever but you know that this is not possible. What you can do instead is make sure that you will help it last as long as you can. One reason why motorcycle engines need to be given more attention is because they work harder than car engines. Since they are more active, they have a bigger tendency to lose their strength.
It is your duty to ensure that your motorcycle is safe to be ridden. You would not want it to break down while you are in an old and deserted area, right? In order to maintain your motorcycle, you may assume that you need a total and major overhaul but this is not always true. You do not need to tear apart your engine. You can do something simple that will change your motorcycle’s performance. This is, changing your oil.
What Motorcycle Oil Does?
You may be wondering why you need motorcycle oil. Oil is like the blood of the motorcycle. Without it, your motorcycle will not function. Remember that without oil, even your new motorcycle will sputter and die.
Engine oil is essential because of the way that motorcycle engines operate. They are usually hotter than car engines and they also have to move faster than the typical car engine. The only thing that can cool down your motorcycle’s very hot engine is the motor oil.
There are different things that your motorcycle oil can do:
- It makes sure that the metal parts of your motorcycle do not come in contact with each other. This is important because whenever metal scrapes up against metal, there is a bigger chance that the different parts of your engine will become damaged.
- This acts as a carrier to transport mini debris that may accumulate in your engine. Some examples of debris are dust, carbon and dirt.
- It will help cool down your engine. You know what will happen to an engine that becomes too hot, right? It might explode. If not, its performance will not be as good as you want it to be. You need to keep your engine cool by using the right motorcycle oil.
When You Should Change Oil?
You will know if you need to change your motor oil if you have acquired about 3700 miles. There are some people who may change their oil before they reach that. If you do not use your motorcycle often, the quality of your oil will deteriorate. If you use your motorcycle too often, the oil you have used will not be too effective in protecting your engine parts anymore. Moderation is the key to ensure that your motorcycle oil will do its job well.
Changing Your Oil and Filter?
Now that you know how your oil can benefit your motorcycle, you have to know how you can change not only your oil but also your filter. You have to be prepared that the process will not only be messy, it is also likely that you will not have too much fun with it.
If you are a beginner, you will usually take an hour to change your oil and your filter but the more that you become adept at doing it, the faster you will be in performing an oil change on your motorcycle. Here is the process that you need to follow:
- 1. There are three bolts that you need to remove so that you can change the oil and the oil filter.
- 2. Drain the oil and let it go straight to the oil pan that is usually situated at the bottom portion of your bike.
- 3. Once you are sure that you have drained all of the oil, you can replace the oil filter.
- 4. Unscrew the bolt that is in charge of holding the oil filter in place.
- 5. Remove the used oil filter and replace it with the new one.
- 6. Bolt all the screws you have removed.
- 7. Make sure that you have put things back properly.
- 8. Remember that if you are unable to screw back the bolts properly, oil will start dripping out of the tank.
A Few Tips to Remember
- You can check your manual if you are unsure how much oil you need to place in your engine.
- Get to know the right oil that you are going to place on your motorcycle. It will differ depending on your motorcycle’s brand and model.
- You can use a flashlight to see if the oil level of your engine is proper. Make sure that you will not put too much because this will only cause oil to spill. If you pour too little oil, then it will not do its job well.
- Remember to check the oil first before pouring in more because they may sometimes appear to be full but they will go down slowly.
If you are sure that you have placed just the right amount of oil on your motorcycle then you can be sure that your motorcycle will run properly and it will seem brand new.