How to Remove Car Stickers: Do It Without Damaging Paint
Got stickers in your car? Struggling to have it removed? This can be a difficult task, but only if you do not know the materials that will be needed and the steps to do it properly. If you have no idea on how to remove car stickers, read the rest of this post and learn from the insights that we will share. This is one thing that you can do even on your own.
We all have different stickers on our cars. They can be parking registration, the logo of your favorite band, sports team, or college, and candidates and causes you are supporting, among others. They might look good, but time will come that they can be an eyesore or they can be irrelevant, such as when election season is already over. When it is time to get rid of these stickers, follow the steps that will be mentioned below, and for sure, you can do it without complications.
What You Will Need to Follow this Tutorial
The first thing that you have to do is to gather the materials needed, which will include the following:
- Plastic card advice
- Clean cloth
- Automotive adhesive cleaner
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Remove Car Stickers
Depending on how creative you are or the materials that are available, there are several ways that can allow you to easily remove car stickers. Among others, one of the most popular is through the use of a hairdryer.
- Before anything else, make sure that the area surrounding the sticker is clean. It is best to have it removed after a car wash.
- Plug the hair dryer and turn it on. Make sure that it is placed at least six inches from the sticker. Do not apply heat directly on the sticker or paint. Also, make sweeping motions instead of holding it steady in one position. By doing this, you will heat the sticker evenly, making it easier to be removed later.
- Now, you are ready to take off the sticker. You can use your nails to do this. Start from one edge until you can peel off until the center. Alternatively, you can also use a plastic card for scraping the sticker.
- After removing the sticker, you will notice that there are sticky residues left on the surface. To remove this, use alcohol. Dab a small amount on a clean cloth and rub it on the surface until you have fully removed the residue.
- Aside from alcohol, an automotive adhesive cleaner will also be a great choice. Simply spray it on the area where the sticker has been taken out, let it sit for a while, and rub with a clean cloth.
Aside from using heat, lubrication can also be an effective solution. Here’s how you can do it right:
- Using your finger, peel the sticker from the edge. You can also use a razor, but be sure to do it carefully so that you won’t scratch the surface.
- By now, you must have peeled at least ¼ of the sticker. Apply WD-40 or any lubricant on the part that is already exposed. This will help to soften the sticker, resulting in its effortless removal. Continue spraying on the surface until the sticker is completely removed.
- Once it is fully-removed, wipe the surface with a clean cloth to take out any remaining lubricant or residue from the sticker.
Here are some important things to keep in mind when removing stickers from your car:
- You can also use an eraser to remove the residue on the surface. It is best to use white or light colored eraser so that it won’t affect the color of your car.
- To finish off cleaning, hot and soapy water can also help. This will also soften the residue, making it easier to finish when it is time to dry it off.
- Boiling water and vinegar can also be effective in removing the sticker, making it softer and easier to peel.
- Before putting the sticker, it will be good if you can apply wax on the surface first. This will make it easier to remove later.
- Like a lubricant, the citrus-based cleaner is another effective choice. It is a good choice because it comes with limonene, which will lessen the stickiness. Alternatively, you can also rub lemon or orange peel on the surface.
- Be careful when using sharp objects, such as plastic card and razor. They can cause scratches.
Stickers are not forever. There will come a time that you need to remove them. They may no longer be relevant or they are already starting to look unsightly. With this, we hope that the discussions above on how to remove car stickers helped you. With a little effort to spare, anyone can do it!